Saturday, November 24, 2007

Suited up with no turkey


Happy t-day! We celebrated over curry and noodles with a fellow Seatte-ite on the road, followed by an icy cold beer on our balcony.

We came to Hoi An with no intention to get clothes made, but heard it was the tailoring capital of Viet Nam. Some Aussies gave us the address of a shop in the Old Town and we walked by. Quickly, the idea of suits took hold of us - I've never had one and Ryan has only had a few crappy ones. Once the shopkeepers realized that we were tempted, they wouldn't let us leave and we found ourselves fingering wool and cashmere fabrics from Italy, pinstripes from Viet Nam, and poring over design books. They hustled us around the store aggressively, measured us and sent us away in a matter of 2 hours. The shop only needed 5 hours to make these gorgeous suits, and requested we come back that evening for a fitting.



The shopkeeper got mad at Ryan for awhile because he insisted on his suit coat being taken in around his torso. She said, 'but you too skinny! look like girl!' and looked at me as if to back her up. I agreed that it made him look skinny, but told her that that's how Ryan rolled. She also got mad that he wanted his 2 shirts shortened, but again, Ryan insisted, despite the other bystanders she pulled into her side of the argument. We do look dapper though, no? Now I just need an interview...

10 comments:

cj said...

that's awesome. i've always wanted a tailored suit. nice look, guys!

Anonymous said...

You guys move fast! Please have a few more suits made while I catch up. I fell into the Perfume River and spent a day drying off but have now procured a motorized unicycle and should be arriving shortly. Hopefully we can mail some of our leftover seafood to Candice, who is unusually hungry.

Anonymous said...

You guys look very dapper and happy. Glad you are having the adventure of a lifetime. Wish I was there.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, we missed you at Thanksgiving dinner but ate some extra yams and parsnips for you. I like being able to follow you around, not in a weird way, just thanks for the posts. And Ryan, Boston got Schill and Lowell signed, but enough of that. Okay, soak up some sun for me!

Anonymous said...

Ya'll look absolutely FABU!
I had some seriously cheap tailoring done while in India, so I can totally relate!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I don't know if they have moths in Vietnam but find out how you need to seal the suits so they won't be moth eaten when you get home. That is, if they are wool. I know it is a mom thing. Love reading about your adventure.

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Audrey, I am totally jealous. I actually could use a well tailored suit so I am quite green with envy today as I read your blog. We are preparing for the holidays here and you know what that means! Our tree is up and I started baking yesterday (do you wish you had some homemade, totally organic banana bread?)

It sounds as if you having a great time!

Hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Those threads are pretty pimpin' indeed. Did Ryan shave that morning? Maybe a smooth faced Ryan has a little girly touch to it? He does have a nice rack, I've been caught staring a time or two on the bus. Sounds like you two have been having a super great time. My shirt size is 42cm shoulders, 34cm sleeve and 16 1/2 inch neck. French cuffs please. One blue, one white, one color of your choice.

I've been having a good time reading this you two. Nice work.

Cheers!

Matt Case

Unknown said...

You two do look very nice of course, but I think Audrey should consider the advantages of wearing shoes when you are actually interviewing...